What We Do
As dedicated health professionals in a community of diverse cultures, we strive to create an awareness of bienestar - well being as a holistic synthesis of mind, body and spirit and to establish this awareness as a way of life. We work to this end through programs affecting behavioral change and life style modification while maintaining a culturally appropriate dialogue based on accepted community principles:
- Confianza: Belief and faith in the exchange of prevention services
- Personalismo: Empathy with clients
- Respeto: Respect based on understanding of individual needs
- Familismo: Commitment to family
Our many programs employ culturally appropriate materials, tools, and training with the assistance of the community. These programs include:
Chronic Disease Prevention: To inspire creative learning in such topics as cardiovascular disease and diabetes, we have pioneered entertaining and nonthreatening tools such as:
- Rotafolio: Flip charts with pictorial health messages on one side and explanatory materials on the other
- Mesa Clinicia: Three dimensional story boards using felt figurines to dramatize health messages
- Radio novelas: Health-edged dramas and stories from the Hispanic/Latino life experience
HIV Prevention: Partnering with national and local agencies, we provide a continuum of prevention services. We identify people at risk through community outreach. In peer discussion groups, they learn about prevention and intervention. And, they may become clients of our HIV prevention case management, which encourages behavioral change and lifestyle modification. In addition, we outreach to those people who may be infected to facilitate their access to intervention services.
Child Health: To prevent and reduce injury and death, we have pioneered Vacunas Desde La Cuna (Immunizations From Birth), which helps to raise immunization rates as well reach at-risk families with under-immunized infants. In addition, our Child Safety Seat Distribution Program provides information and instruction on proper use in order to reduce deaths. We also provide seats on the basis of need and availability.
Substance Use/Abuse: To significantly reduce the most preventable cause of disease and death, especially of our youth, we partner with schools, clinics, churches, and other community organizations to provide behavior and lifestyle change messages. We specifically target tobacco use and inhalant abuse through the use of refusal skills, self-concept development and peer-led activities in which particpants are empowered as "advisers", providing their own health promotion messages.
Concilio currently provides the following community services
- Assisting in Medicaid services to increase their access to health care, this includes:
- Navigators and ACA’s providing assistance for enrollment on the health insurance MarketPlace.
- Providing assistance for Medicaid/CHIP/AHCCC enrollment.
- Promoting exercise and physical activity to
combat and prevent obesity in the Latino community using the family-friendly Vive Su Vida! Community events.
Concilio provides training in the following curriculums
- Whole Health Action Management-WHAM
- Chronic Disease Self-management Program (CDSMP). Training for Health Professionals to become Lay Leaders on Self-Management Programs
- Tomando Control de su Salud (Spanish)
- Programa de Manejo Personal de la Diabetes (Spanish)
- Diabetes Self-Management workshop
- Mental Health First Aid (MHFA); Conducting training in mental health first aid to community agencies and groups working with the Latino community and/or the greater Phoenix population.
- MHFA Adult
- MHFA Youth
- MHFA in Spanish/REDES:
- MHFA for Veterans, service members, and their families
- Health Extenders